Thursday, February 25, 2010

live like the pioneers

While watching Arthur with my daughter one morning, Francine had to write a book report on what it must have been like to be a pioneer and just then there was a massive blizzard and everyone had to work together. They had to get by without modern day conveniences and got to see how cool it was to NOT have all those conveniences. This is almost what I felt like this morning when I woke up at 5 am to no power in my house. The only reason that I knew it was 5am was because the power was intermittently unavailable last night and I brought my cell phone to bed with me for fear that I would oversleep and not have an alarm. And as I was emailing my boss from my cell phone it made me think of how dependent I am on conveniences such as the telephone, the television and the internet....Oh Lord the internet. I basically felt non functional yesterday without it. I couldn't tell you anything without it. Thank goodness for my internet enabled cell phone but still that didn't do justice when I was trying to write emails from a tiny touch pad. Maybe I need to get reacquainted with simple living where all these electronics aren't necessities. I think I'm longing for the simple way of life again where for fun you went to a person's house since that was the only way to get a hold of them, where you played cards against other people not computers, where you went to bed when the sun went down because there wasn't anything else to do without light, and where all you had to get by was your family. What do you do without power?

No comments: