Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Freezer/Pantry Challenge

As some may know my husband and I are planning to move at the end of November. To make life easier (and in all actuality cheaper) on us we are conducting a freezer/pantry challenge to reduce the amount of food we have in our freezer and pantry and to try not to go grocery shopping every week except for necessities (milk, bread, eggs).
To do this we need to make a menu plan and in complete honesty we're really, really bad at that. So far this week here is what we have had for dinner

Sunday: English Muffin Pizza
(I got the english muffins for $1.99 at Hannaford, the mozzarella for .99 at Hannaford and I had a can of crushed tomatoes left over from when stop and shop had them for .50)

Monday: Chicken a la Grandma, homemade stuffing, mixed veggies
(I got boneless, skinless chicken thighs for .19 a pound (!!), we had some white bread that my kids won't eat so we turned it into stuffing, and we had the frozen veggies from a s&s stop when they were .50 a bag)

Tuesday: Stuffed Peppers, garlic knots, alfredo noodles
(The hubs made dinner with ground beef we bought on sale a month ago, we bought a HUGE bag of rice at BJ's about 6 months ago and are still using it, the peppers he bought yesterday, I bought pizza dough on Sunday in the hopes of making homemade pizza but had a problem getting it to roll out so that's where the garlic knots came from, 1.99, and the alfredo noodles were a pasta roni package that I bought for .50)

Wednesday: This we will call my "Adrianne didn't have a menu plan" night. Chinese food. 'Nuff said. Except that I also got a replenishment on my tupperware. Oh and that I got enough food to have dinner for hubs, mini-me, me and enough for lunch for all three of us the next day. And well, breakfast for me. There were vegetables in it so I deemed it healthy.

Thursday: Musgoes (whatever is in the fridge "must go" or leftover night to a normal family) And now I realize that in order for this to work I really, really need to make a menu plan and not try to fly by the seat of my pants.

No comments: