Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Becoming Frugal

My husband told me the other day that I was the most frugal 28 year old he had ever known. And I think I have my Dad to thank for this. My dad didn't find his "dream" job until he was 30 and had two kids. My dad just retired at age 55 with a significant amount in savings and retirement income and this is after going through a nasty divorce, buying a new house, helping all three kids with college expenses (and anything else we needed) paying child support until just 2 years ago and he was still able to retire at age 55. That I find remarkable and I think it's because my dad saved every penny he could find. Not that my dad is cheap, quite the contrary, he's frugal. He shops around for the best deal instead of buying on impulse, he goes to garage sales, goes to thrift stores, and keeps stuff until it just doesn't work anymore. Just two years ago did he buy a new television because the one he had which was older than I am broke and due to the ancientness of it the manufacturer no longer repairs them because it's not worth the money. I'm trying to get my husband to understand this as we work our way towards owning a house that sometimes you need to give up your little wants to achieve your big wants. I have us on a strict budget right now but it all goes up in smoke (literally) when he's at least a pack a day smoker if not more. That's at least $35 a week down the drain and for what? Lung disease? A nasty smell? Potential cancer? My goal is to have enough money for a down payment by October or at least enough for a rent to own option. So we eat at home instead of ordering pizza or chinese or going through a drive-thru, and are attempting to only go grocery shopping either once a month and spending about $300 or twice a month spending $150 each time. To do this I clip coupons and when there is a staple that is on sale I buy more of it (like mayonnaise, I use mayo in a lot of my recipes and when it goes on sale I stock up on it. Same with crushed tomatoes). Here's to a down payment in October!!!!! Start scrimping and saving all pennies we can find!!

No comments: